Between great wines and historical heritage
Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the medieval city of Saint-Émilion has an outstanding historical and architectural heritage. You can visit the ramparts and the Brunet gate, which once protected the village from many lusts; the Tour du Roy, the only Romanesque keep still intact in the Gironde; the astonishing monolithic church entirely dug in the rock in the 12th century; the "Great Wall", remains of the old Dominican monastery; the majestic ruins of the Cardinal Palace or the convent of the Cordeliers, a 13th-century historical monument classified by UNESCO. To complete the visit, do not hesitate to follow the "Wine Route of Bordeaux in Saint-Émilion, Pomerol, Fronsac" to explore the vineyards and discover the many castles nearby not far from our 4-star campsite in the Landes.
The wines of Saint Emilion
Saint-Émilion is a medieval village known throughout the world for its wines. Take advantage of your stay to visit the city, taste the wines and enjoy delicious meals
. The different wines are often cited among the biggest. You will find many well-known wineries by walking the country roads around this historic village.
The geological specificities and the surrounding climate give the wine an inimitable taste. The land where limestone and clay merge allows the creation of an exceptional wine.
You need to know these mansions where oenology is an art transmitted from generation to generation. At least 12 different appellations (according to particularities) make it possible to recognize a Saint-Emilion wine.
The challenges of sustainable development are taken into account by many winemakers in this village who work for a responsible and positive ecological approach to nature.
Spirituality, commerce and wine have thus strongly marked the city which is erected as an amphitheater. The mounds (steep streets) allow to discover the village by gradually taking the height. Different monuments are so many testimonies of the history of this city became highly tourist.
His many exciting riches, with many buildings that are revealed only to the most curious explorers when venturing into the underground.
In Saint-Émilion you can discover:
- the Monolith church and the bell tower
- the cloister of the Cordeliers
- the Brunet door
- the Cardinal Palace
- the Roy Tower
The route of the wine route is absolutely fascinating. Your visit will follow a thematic, that this one is unusual, gastronomic, historical or artistic. Discover the greatest castles that make the grand cru of the wine history of St Emilion
The best restaurants in Saint Emilion
The city of Saint-Emilion is known for its exceptional wines thanks to a unique terroir, ancestral know-how and a microclimate conducive to the development of vines.
Many star chefs have settled in the city and its surroundings with the desire to magnify the agreement between food and wine. The castles and their splendid architectures are as many invitations to the wonder of the visitors.
Opt for one of the addresses of our selection, your meal will be great:
- Château la Croizille, at the end of your visit you can enjoy a basket garnished (35 € visit + basket) with a breathtaking view of the vineyards. The architecture of the cellar is unusual and it deserves to be seen.
- Château de Candale, exceptional menu in a beautiful setting, ideal for a romantic dinner. 38 to 55 €, possibility to participate in a brunch from April to October.
- The Relais de Gascogne, typical cuisine of the region, charming setting, accessible to small budgets.
- La Plaisance, fine cuisine for a gastronomic experience in the land of great wine. The recipes are typical and the decoration is neat.
- It's perfect for a nice moment or a festive occasion ?! The Comptoir des Arts, original and pleasant for a dinner with family or friends.
The city of Saint-Emilion is full of surprises as tasteful as architectural, it is the ideal place to make beautiful discoveries and spend a wonderful time during your holidays.